Friday, July 31, 2009

Emotions are the Gateway to the Spiritual


Sixteen years ago this week I nearly died while giving birth to my first child. She and I both survived thanks to the wonderful midwives and doctors who took over when her and I forgot how to dance the birth dance. Birth and death. And support.

We forget that every time a woman has sex she implicitly and unconsciously accepts that she might get pregnant. And therefore she implicitly and unconsciously accepts that she might die in childbirth: the unconscious, primal brain doesn't know if we have access to a high tech hospital at the moment. So every time a woman lets go into sexual intercourse she needs to trust that the support will be there when she needs it later on, from her family, her community or as a minimum from her partner. When a woman knows that support is unlikely to be authentic or when she has had repeated experiences of not receiving support, her flow is interrupted and her emotions are disturbed. She appears 'dramatic', 'irrational', 'out of control', 'hysterical' and she scares those around her, her male partner(s?) in particular.

Men who are repeatedly exposed to women in that state of interrupted flow become suspicious (or scared) of emotions. "Emotions are overrated" a wounded man told me today.

But listen to the word: e-motion. In-motion. Comes from the Latin 'movere' : to move. Emotions keep things moving, keep life in motion. We need flow to go through life. We need flow to go through change, through transition, through every birth, through every death, through every rebirth. Emotions are necessary to human growth because they keep life flowing. And as such they are the key to the spiritual: they move us on to where we need to be. Emotions help us become.

We associate emotions with the heart. And where we are all heading is back to the Heart of God. It's not call the Head of God. It is called the Heart of God because that is where our heart melts into the Divine to connect us back to Oneness. The more emotions flow the more easily we are moved. Moved to love, to Love and to the Heart of God, the Heart of the Mystery.

In truth I am always the Heart of God and the more I embody Its Feminine aspect, the more I love people. Not just the special people in my life, not just my clients: everybody.

Through the Heart of God we Love all.

As we are finding a new way of being human, it is important to remember that when we birth something new some old things will die for sure.

And e-motions are what will carry us through this evolution.

Emotions are the gateway to the spiritual.



Do YOU trust your emotions to show you the way?

4 comments:

  1. By trusting your emotions you increase the space for joy, decreasing automatically the space for negativity.
    Rafael

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...that explains alot of where I have been lately, thought I was on the verge of a breakdown. For me, especially as a Scorpio, keeping my emotions and intensity balanced....so challenging. I'm aware of fears and insecurities which keep them in check until I can't hold it in anymore..not healthy either...then I pull in. It's been a rollercoaster lately that has been concerning yet freeing. So to answer the question, do I trust my emotions to show me the way?...I am working on that trust and to allow these neglected unexpressed feelings out to heal and grow, without the judgment or critical self reflection. Thanks Sophie for more clarity and the greenlight!!to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sandy, a lot of people feel they are on the verge of a breakdown. It's not them: it's the energy pushing them along and demanding they change. We're all surfing the same energy wave the best we can! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU for posting this - does a lot to explain what has sometimes been incomprehensible emotional reaction (to me!) when making love with women - or rather AFTER (sometimes)...I think that many men (me included) engage in sex without understanding the sort of support that is needed/wanted by the women with whom they are having sex. Even those men who are perhaps doing a good job of supporting their job financially, may not have figured out the emotional end of the needed support.....I suspect that it is also because we haven't yet understood what sort of support WE need in our lives - certainly not the same level of support needed by the Mom - financially and "presence" ...but support nontheless.

    About the "e-motion".....I have found this extra rainy weather we are having WONDERFUL as it supports my flow of tears...something that I didn't know I needed support to do and/or didn't know how to ask for it from others. What I have found after both of my strokes / brain surgery has been an increased awareness of and expression of deep, deep sadness - the awareness has come out thru prayer and meditation and the expression has come out as tears and sometimes tiredness. the wonderful (and surprising) thing about this sadness has been that I feel it leading me on to some powerful growing in my drum circle facilitation business and my relationship with others and in the most unexpected ways.... it isn't growth that has firmly taken hold just yet, but I feel a surge coming and the surge is being fueled by the exploration that I am experiencing as I let myself sink (as you have so often said was the best way to handle sadness - go INTO it - not away from it) into and THRU the sadness....

    Yet Again THANK YOU!

    Peace

    ReplyDelete